Mastercard Chargeback Reason Code 4802: Request Copy Illegible or Invalid
The buyer’s bank requested a copy of the order receipt, and found it as an illegible copy, or something other than the requested item. Most commonly caused by the seller when he provides a substitute order receipt that did not contain all of the required information or was an incomplete substitute acknowledgment, or other than the requested item.
Most Common Causes
The merchant submitted order receipt with the information which is not sufficient or incomplete or is different from the requested information.
- Characters in the receipt were invisible or not prominent because of light ink.
- The copy is ribbed or on colored paper.
- The copy is faded or stained.
- The original order receipt is mishandled.
- The original sales receipt is scanned in smaller size, makes it unclear or different.
- If possible, resubmit a copy that is clear enough to read or complete copy of the order receipt to the acquirer.
- If the merchant has incomplete or missing information, accept the chargeback.
- If the merchant provided illegible copy and an enquiry is related to a fraud, accept the chargeback.
In such case, the merchant doesn’t have any re-presentment rights.
Email us anytime!
Email customer service 24/7
Call us anytime!
Reach customer care 24/7 at 855-465-4723
- Scan the order receipt in actual size as original sales receipt or print on white paper only. Scanning in smaller size makes it unclear or distinct.
- Replace/refill the printer’s toner or cartridge so that it doesn’t run low on ink or paper. When the ink starts to fade, use different cartridge. When the first copy starts to fade or stain, change the roll of the printer.
- Print and keep white copy of order receipt, give colored one to the customer, the color paper does not copy as visible as white one.
- Make copies at the similar size as the original order receipt. If the sales acknowledgement is scanned or microfilmed, do not reduce the image size, it results in poor quality of the copy.
- Position of the company name/logo should be separate from transaction information, make sure that the company name or logo on the order receipt is visible. Business message should be printed away from the transaction information.
- Make sure the company’s name on buyer’s bill or billing statement is clearly visible and is also correct, the customer must check this information on the credit card and then see the merchant’s name and descriptor on the billing statement.
- Linda complains to the bank that the charge on her card is more than she was supposed to pay on which her bank asks the merchant to provide them with a copy of the receipt. The merchant hence fails to submit a complete and readable copy of the original receipt and therefore endures a chargeback under the Reason Code 4802: Request Copy Illegible or Invalid.
- George thinks that he received a call from his internet service provider regarding a due charge so—he pays the amount, however, he later realizes that it was a fraud call. He calls his bank about the fraud on which the bank reaches out to the merchant. The merchant fails to provide the copy of receipt in order to prove that the customer rendered any of their services. Hence the bank puts a chargeback on the merchant under the Reason Code 4802: Request Copy Illegible or Invalid.
The Ultimate Dispute Management Resource
Download our comprehensive guide to reason codes, modifiers, time limits, and compelling evidence.