Mastercard Chargeback Reason Code 4853: Cardholder Dispute – Defective/Not as Described
The issuing bank received a claim from the cardholder that merchandise or services ordered were not received or that the order was cancelled due to the delay in the delivery of the merchandise or services. Such chargebacks occur when services are not provided, merchandise is not shipped, transaction is billed prior to shipping the merchandise or when merchandise is not sent by the agreed upon delivery date.
Most Common Causes
- Sent the wrong merchandise or didn’t satisfy the customer’s need
- Did not send the goods/service by the agreed delivery date.
- Didn’t clearly mention the expected shipping and arrival date.
- Didn’t deliver the goods or provided the service as per the agreement.
- Billed the cardholder before delivering the merchandise.
- Didn’t make goods available for pick-up upon agreement.
- If the Goods or Services were shipped or provided by the agreed upon shipping date, provide proof of delivery, delivery receipt signed by the cardholder or shipping confirmation that the goods and services were shipped to the correct address. The cardholder’s signature on the receipt and proof of delivery to the billing address of the card might help in reversing the chargeback. For services like, online login or software download, provide delivery confirmation via email or an electronic delivery confirmation.
- If the Goods or Services have not gotten a shipping date or have not been shipped yet, and the chargebacks are received in less than 30 days since the order, provide an order receipt and also provide the expected delivery date.
- If the Goods or Services have not been shipped, but there is a set shipping date, provide a copy of the order receipt, invoice, or other information showing the expected shipping date
- If the Goods or Services were shipped after the agreed shipping date,provide the proof of delivery and proper acceptance of the cardholder at the correct shipping address.
- If services were delivered, show the date when the services were rendered and a proof of the same like signed order receipt, email confirmation, invoice etc.
Email us anytime!
Email customer service 24/7
Call us anytime!
Reach customer care 24/7 at 855-465-4723
- Linda bought few beauty products online however, upon arrival she finds few broken pieces in her kit. She decides to return the kit but the time passes by and she forgets to return it on time. She speaks to the merchant if she would be refunded or allowed to return the product after the dues date. Merchant refuses as the policy doesn’t accept returns after 30 days. Linda finds it difficult to use the product as decides to dispute the transaction in the hope of winning the chargeback under the Reason Code 4853: Not as Described or Defective Merchandise
- George was surfing online and spontaneously decides to buy shoes for himself. He orders a pair but later realizes that he is short on money for the month. Unfortunately, by the time he realizes the mistake and tries to cancel, the product passes through processing and gets shipped. He wants to reach out to the merchant, but in a hurry to avoid deduction from his amount, he decides to dispute the charge under the Reason Code 4853: Not as Described or Defective Merchandise.
The Ultimate Dispute Management Resource
Download our comprehensive guide to reason codes, modifiers, time limits, and compelling evidence.