Visa Chargeback Reason code 53 is based on claims from card owners that the merchandise was defective, or not same as on the online store. There are multiple claims such as merchandise is not what’s on the sale receipt, merchandise is not same as describe during telephone transaction, or the merchandise was shipped, but it was defective or damaged. Reason code 53 can also be classified based on the following claims made by clients:
- Inadequate for purpose which it was sold for
- It is not what described, the transaction receipt and the product description on the website are different.
- The product was damage or defective
Customers can file complain if they have proof that they contacted the merchant to resolve the dispute. The reason for contacting could be asking for refund, requesting to change the merchandise and return at business expenses. There are some reasons for filing visa chargeback reason code 32, especially when merchant:
- Refused to take damaged merchandise
- Accepts merchandise but didn’t return money to the customer
- Failed to deliver service as described on the website or online store
- Failed to cancel the requested service
- Sends merchandise to an incorrect address
- Merchandise was received but it was damaged
- The product was not as described
Preventing Reason code 53
There are many tactics that you can use to prevent reason code 53, make sure to provide proper information regarding the merchandise and mention the service clearly so that there isn’t any misunderstanding.
- If there is a faulty merchandise, then issue credit immediately. If customer want to send merchandise, merchant can reply that credit won’t be sent until merchandise is received. No matter what the situation is, make sure to keep communication with the customer so that cardholder don’t go for chargeback. If you ignore the issue then cardholder will surely go for chargeback, so answer all the queries and offer full support.
- Mention product description accurately. Keep in consideration that sometimes marketing tactics are thecauseof chargebacks, because product don’t live up to expectations orclaims that were made in the advertisement. There should be honest description, and never to mislead client intentionally for gaining profit.
- Ship merchandise that is displayed on the website. There may be mistakes on merchant end because of wrong address, so be prepare to refund or resend the merchandise. Regular reviewing and careful handling procedures may cut human errors, and prevent chargebacks.
Merchants who have chargebacks should consider it as warning because it not only effects your business but also will blacklist you if using third party sites for selling. Credit issuing, marketing strategies, and shipment should be taken care of professionally.
Sometimes merchandise incur damage during shipment, which is unavoidable. There are some reasonable steps that can prevent such things. Merchant’s first priority should be to ensure maximum customer satisfaction and zero chargebacks.
Email us anytime!
Email customer service 24/7
Call us anytime!
Reach customer care 24/7 at 855-465-4723